Onyx is a kind of natural material like quartz. This is a hard stone, on the surface and in the thickness of which there are strips of different colors and sizes. They come in shades of green (the most common color of the mineral), black, brown and white. The most valuable stone is white onyx. It is rarely found in nature and is unique among many semi-precious stones. It is also worth paying attention to the number and size of the stripes in its thickness and on the surface. The abundance and refinement of the lines indicate a high degree of layering. This is the main criterion for forming the price of onyx: the more elements, the higher it is.
Legend of onyx occurrence
Onyx is one of the most ancient stones on earth. The memory of him can be found in ancient Greek mythology. According to one of the legends, the god Eros accidentally cut off the nails of the beautiful Aphrodite. Falling to the ground, the pieces of nails immediately turned into beautiful stones. It was they who became semi-precious gems, calledonyxes.
Meaning for world religions and civilizations
The stone is mentioned several times in the Bible. A signet with onyx (along with eleven other gems) adorned the finger of the high priest Aaron. The presence of the mineral is also seen in the description of Eden.
Onyx also occupies a special place in Islam, in the city of Kaaba it is even inserted into the wall of the main mosque.
In India, onyx is considered a stone of love and harmony. It brings comfort to the house, promotes mutual understanding and rapprochement of people.
White onyx has not only positive properties. According to the inhabitants of ancient China, it symbolized troubles and misfortunes. In Mesopotamia, tombs were decorated with this stone, as they considered it a symbol of sadness. American Indians bypassed onyx a long way, so as not to meet with the "tears of the mountain spirit."
Characteristics of the stone
The progenitor of onyx is quartz, which in nature is represented by a white stone. It has the same white thin stripes, barely distinguishable in shades. The presence of impurities is accompanied by patterns that are more distinguishable in color. The more such inclusions, the brighter the stone looks. This rock has a very high density, so onyx is considered one of the hardest stones. It does not absorb water and is resistant to various temperatures, but is easy to process. These qualities make the gem the most sought after and popular in terms of the production of products for various purposes.
The semi-precious stone has manymagical properties, which in their power are equated to a real jewel (help a person find happiness and well-being). White onyx stone helps:
- open the internal reserves of the human body;
- develop intuition and the gift of divination;
- protect from the evil eye;
- find inner harmony;
- protect from unwanted contacts (prevent meeting with people whom the owner of the stone does not like);
- avoid accidents and sudden death;
- strengthen oneself and earn the respect of others;
- to become an excellent speaker, to acquire the gift of persuasion for a large audience of listeners;
- get rid of fears and doubts.
How to enhance the magic of the stone
In order for the stone to act more actively, it is necessary to constantly charge it with energy. To do this, it costs:
- choose a stone according to your taste preferences (it must be pleasant in appearance and pleasant to the touch);
- periodically leave the gem under the moonlight.
White onyx will help cure many diseases of various origins, ranging from accidental wounds to chronic diseases. The mineral is applied in the following cases:
- Any wound heals faster if it is sprinkled with crushed onyx. This recommendation applies to the treatment of teeth and gums.
- Helps fight viruses, brings down the temperature, strengthens the immune system.
- Onyx earrings help normalize hearing and improve eyesight.
- Reduces obesity (for this you need to drink water infused with crushed onyx).
- Heals a diseased liver.
- Improves male potency.
- Treats diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- Marble onyx is very useful for people with choleric temperament. It helps to tidy up the nervous system and reduce excessive activity.
- Eliminates headaches, migraines, dizziness, cures brain diseases.
- Helps relieve pain from rheumatism or arthritis (you need to apply a stone to sore spots).
- During the massage, it is recommended to press the stone on the pain points, and the pain will subside.
- Eliminates stress, depression, fights insomnia.
- Uplifts the mood, calms the nervous system.
White onyx is widely used in industry. This beautiful semi-precious stone gives aesthetic pleasure, helps to create coziness, makes life easier, cheers up. Used by:
- In construction. Due to the original properties of the stone, it is used as a building material. It is durable, does not pass heat, does not absorb water. Most often, onyx is used to finish pools and baths.
- In the interior. Interior items made from this gem are distinguished by their extraordinary beauty and practicality. As an inlay, the stone is suitable for wall panels, mosaics, lamps, and fireplace mantels. Specialcountertops take advantage. They not only look amazing, but also perform invaluable functions. Such a surface cannot be damaged by a knife (due to its hardness), does not heat up from temperature, and does not absorb moisture. Marble onyx is most often used for production.
- For making various items. Onyx is used to make candlesticks, ashtrays, photo frames, jewelry boxes, flowerpots, dishes, and many souvenirs.
- In furniture inlay. Such furniture will look luxurious. By making it on an individual order, you can achieve one hundred percent uniqueness and sophistication.
Jewelry onyx is especially popular. It is a semi-precious stone, so most often it is inserted into silver or cupronickel. These metals almost double the healing and magical properties of the gem. The most optimal shape will be a circle or an oval, the surface of the stone should be smooth and shiny.
The white color stone is the most expensive compared to other multi-colored onyxes. That is why it is often framed in precious metals such as white, yellow, pure gold and platinum.
An onyx ring will allow its owner to become stronger and more self-confident. It will prevent external manipulations by unscrupulous people. The person will become more decisive in making decisions. Such decoration will develop intuition, will make it possible to foreseedevelopments. It should be worn on the middle finger of the main working hand (usually, this is the right hand, but if the person is left-handed, the onyx ring should be worn on the left hand).
These decorations are mostly chosen by the representatives of the stronger sex, although sometimes they are also found in women. In these products, the mineral can be both the main stone and its setting. Wearing such a ring will give the owner stamina, courage, determination, perseverance in work. An onyx signet will speed up career advancement and gain the respect of high-ranking officials. Most suitable for students, students, representatives of professions related to manual work.
These jewelry is suitable for both men and women. They contribute to the acquisition of personal happiness and accelerate the search for their soulmate. White onyx bracelets will allow you to find mutual understanding between lovers, create a harmonious married couple or simply strengthen existing relationships.
This decoration has not only an aesthetic and magical, but also a healing effect. From constant wear, vision improves markedly. Hearing becomes much better, diseases of the ear, throat and nose disappear. Earrings with onyx will add attractiveness to their mistress, will allow you to quickly attract representatives of the opposite sex. Onyx earrings open up creativity and inspiration.
Because onyx is a semi-precious stone, its weight is estimated not in carats, but in grams. Ornamental material in construction is calculated in kilograms. Natural facing agate material costs more than 100 rubles, marble will cost from 50 or more. The price of onyx in jewelry depends on the cost of the setting material. For example:
- earrings made of yellow or white metal - from 300 rubles;
- cupronickel pendant – from 400 rubles;
- bracelet - from 400 to 700 rubles;
- beads - from 500 to 2500 rubles;
- silver ring - from 1000 to 5000 rubles;
- gold earrings - from 10,000 rubles;
- gold pendant - from 4000 rubles.
Astrological characteristics of onyx
The magical properties of onyx have their own characteristics with respect to different signs of the zodiac. It will help some representatives to make life much easier, while others will have to give it up.
- Aries. The stone will help in making the right decisions, achieving the goal, the right vector of direction. People will be able to properly distribute their energy, become calmer and more tolerant of everyone around.
- Taurus. Onyx will help people of the earth element to overcome uncertainty, laziness and passivity. They will become less conservative, will strive for spiritual development, will be able to overcome bad habits.
- Twins. Representatives of the air element should give preference to onyx of bright colors, since a white stone can suppress their individuality. People of this sign strive for diversity, it’s hard for themfocus on one aspect. The mineral is able to become an obstacle in their natural desires.
- Cancer. Representatives of the water element are more suitable for onyx shades of sea water or black, they are not recommended to wear a white stone.
- Lion. The fiery lion is recommended to wear a white stone in order to become less quick-tempered and impulsive. But for solving career issues and achieving results, black is more suitable.
- Virgo. A favorable action will be the influence of onyx on practical and pragmatic Virgos. Representatives of the earth element are too concentrated on the fulfillment of their tasks and devote little time to communication and their own presentation. The white gem will help them become brighter and more active.
- Scales. The white mineral is not very suitable for representatives of the air sign. Libras are quite active and sociable, this is their individuality. This decoration can deprive them of their identity, so you should give preference to blue.
- Scorpio. The water element of this sign dictates such character traits as internal discipline and a deep analysis of current events. A white stone will be useless for the representatives of the sign, they should prefer black stones.
- Sagittarius. Fiery Sagittarius has enough energy, it just needs to be directed in the right direction. Onyx will help you cope with this task, teach you how to properly distribute forces and achieve your goal without loss.
- Capricorn. A gem can be of great benefit to a representative of an earth sign. He will keep them activewill destroy excessive conservatism, help to cope with passivity, make sociable and sociable.
- Aquarius. Representatives of the air element should opt for green onyx. The white stone will interfere with the originality and eccentricity inherent in Aquarius.
- Pisces. Pisces are advised to refrain from purchasing onyx, as it will not bring any benefit to improving their lives. The danger is that the stone is able to enhance the asceticism inherent in the representatives of this zodiac sign.
White onyx will be a great helper in the life of a person who strives for new achievements in all aspects of life. He will cure illnesses and suggest the right decision, protect from the evil eye and reduce the time to meet with his soulmate. But he helps exceptionally decent people who give goodness, happiness and positive energy to everyone around.