It often happens that there is no time or opportunity to clean a fur coat. Of course, when it comes to heavy pollution, it is still better to entrust the procedure to professionals. If the product is sufficiently refreshed or minor stains removed, it is quite possible to cope with this on your own at home. In the article, we will consider some ways that will help remove dirt from a fur coat.
Cleaning light and dark fur
Cleaning a fur coat at home begins with the fact that it is necessary to choose a stain removal method depending on the color of the fur.
Dark fur is cleaned as follows:
- Bran must be heated to t 60-70 °C and slowly, so as not to pull out the villi, rub into the fur until they absorb all the dirt.
- The fur coat is shaken out so that there are no particles of bran left.
- Then the walnuts are crushed with a blender into powder and tied in 2-3 layers of gauze. With a finished swab, iron the fur along the growth line.
- Thanks to the peanut butter, the pile is againtakes on a natural shine.
Cleaning a light fur coat is carried out differently, using light ingredients:
- The product must be laid out on a flat surface and sprinkled with semolina, potato starch or flour.
- The powder is evenly distributed over the fur coat, slightly kneading and rubbing the pile with it.
- Then the fur coat needs to be thoroughly shaken out and combed.
- If starch or grits of a dirty gray color spill out of the pile, the manipulation is repeated until a white powder spills out.
Another option for cleaning snow-white items:
- In a glass of water stir a couple of drops of ammonia and 1 tsp. hydrogen peroxide.
- The resulting solution is poured into a spray bottle and evenly sprayed with the product.
- The fur coat is hung out to dry for one day.
- Then shake and comb through.
Cleaning from dust and light dirt
Before you start cleaning a fur coat at home, you need to determine how dirty it is. This can be done with improvised means: by turning on the hair dryer, a stream of air is directed to the pile. Clean fur will fluff up easily, obeying the movement of air, and return to its place. And vice versa, dirty and stuck together villi get off in shreds. In addition, they look unkempt, which makes it clear that it is time to clean the product.
The easiest way to remove dust from a fur coat. To do this, a cotton sheet is soaked in water and wrung out properly. The product is wrapped with a damp cloth,spread with pile to the surface and beat out.
Another way to get rid of dust is to brush your fur coat with a metal pet hair brush. As for the vacuum cleaner, it is better not to use it, as it can easily ruin the fur. After cleaning, it is recommended to place the product in a specially designed case that will protect the fur coat from re-contamination and moths.
If, in addition to dust deposits, there are other light impurities, lemon juice mixed with water in proportions of 1: 1 will help get rid of them. The foam sponge is moistened in the resulting composition and all areas where there is dirt are treated. The fur coat is thoroughly dried in the open air, and then combed with a brush.
The safest and most harmless way to refresh a product is considered to be dry cleaning a fur coat at home. It is carried out without the use of water, which can damage the fur.
However, the dry method can only remove light dirt and dust. If fruit juice or wine is spilled on natural fur, it will not be possible to deal with the stain in a gentle way. The most effective handy tool in the fight against light pollution is talc.
It is used like this:
- The product is laid out on a flat surface and sprinkled with talc.
- Then lightly rub it together with the fur, leave for 10 minutes and brush off with a soft brush.
- The fur coat is well shaken off. Repeat cleaning if necessary.
Regardless of how you clean your fur coat, the main thing isrule - do not wet natural fur. It is important to protect the fur coat from wet snow and not wear it in the rain. In the event that spray from a passing car has stained the fur, it is necessary to take action as soon as possible and clean the product. If, nevertheless, it was not possible to avoid getting wet, it is strictly forbidden to dry the wet area with a hairdryer or near heating appliances. At the same time, the pile becomes thinner and becomes brittle, and the product itself shrinks or even breaks.
If we talk about mink fur, then it is not afraid of moisture and it is quite possible to clean it with a wet method, following some recommendations.
If the product needs to be refreshed, regular steaming will help:
- The fur coat must be hung on a coat hanger and treated with a special device with a steam generation function. After the procedure, leave the product to dry completely. Then shake and comb through.
- If the device is not at hand, you can use the bathroom. To do this, turn on hot water and close the door. When the room is filled with steam, hang a fur coat there on a coat hanger and leave for 30-50 minutes.
At home, cleaning a mink coat is carried out in the following way:
- The product is hung on wide hangers. Shampoo is dissolved in water and whipped into a rich foam.
- Sponge pick up foam and apply to the pile.
- With another damp sponge, carefully wipe off the remaining foam along with the dirt.
- The fur is combed and left to dry in a well-ventilated area. After complete drying, the product is combed again.
During the cleaning process, it is important that the foam does not get on the base of the fur, but remains only on the pile and undercoat. In addition to shampoo, you can use products designed for cleaning animal hair. They differ in a more natural composition, while it is important to pay attention to the way it is bred.
Another effective way to clean grease stains:
- For 0.5 liters of water add 40 ml of ammonia and 20 g of table s alt.
- In the prepared well-mixed solution, moisten a sponge and rub it into greasy places. You can do this several times until the spots disappear completely.
If the Mouton coat or product with light shades of fur is not properly cleaned, unwanted pigment may appear. This can be avoided by using the sawdust cleaning method. You can buy them at any specialized store. Maple or oak sawdust works best for this purpose, but tar tree varieties are best avoided.
- Sawdust is moistened with alcohol and laid out over the product.
- Keep them lightly until they touch the undercoat.
- After a few minutes, the sawdust is brushed off and the product is shaken out.
Cleaning with ammonia
This method does an excellent job of removing dirt on all types of fur coats, regardless of shade. Penetrating into the villi, ammonia dissolves dirt and brings it to the surface.
The procedure for cleaning a fur coat includes the following steps:
- In 0.5 liters of water dissolve 1 tsp. shampoo and ammonia.
- Readysolution, moisten the sponge and wipe the product, paying special attention to the most contaminated areas. The composition is left for 5-10 minutes.
- Then the moisture remaining on the surface is evenly smoothed over the fur with your hand.
- With a clean, slightly damp sponge, wipe the product, rinsing the sponge as often as possible.
- The final step is to wipe the fur coat with a dry cotton cloth and dry it naturally.
Cleaning a fur coat using mustard powder is done in the following way:
- The fur coat is laid out on a flat horizontal surface and evenly sprinkled with dry mustard powder.
- The product is rubbed with the palms of the fur coat. It is important here not to overdo it, but to perform the manipulation carefully.
- Then the fur coat is shaken well and the rest is brushed off with a terry cloth, in the direction of pile growth.
- Finally, the product is superficially combed with a brush.
Dark colored mink coats can be cleaned with gasoline.
Before use, it is necessary to prepare a weak solution. It is enough to add a few drops of gasoline to 0.5 liters of water.
- A soft brush is moistened in the prepared solution and carried out over the areas of the fur coat with the greatest pollution. The liquid is left to soak for 5 minutes.
- At this time, a terry cloth is moistened in warm water, squeezed well and the liquid is removed.
- Next, the entire product is sprayed with a gasoline solution, onThe dirtiest areas are sprayed more abundantly. The fur coat must be rolled up tightly, inside out.
- Then with a clean damp cloth, and then with a dry cloth, wipe the fur again. The fur coat is hung on a coat hanger and left to dry in the air or in a well-ventilated area.
Talc, cereals, starch
These components are used separately for dry cleaning of fur products:
- The fur coat is sprinkled with any of the listed means.
- Fray lightly.
- Knocked out on both sides.
This method is easy and has almost instant results.
At home, cleaning a Mouton fur coat or other fur product can be done with medical alcohol. To a greater extent, the procedure is recommended for fur coats with short pile. To prepare the solution, mix 50 ml of water, 2 tsp. medical alcohol and 1 tsp. 9% vinegar.
After preparing the liquid, perform the following actions:
- A gauze pad is soaked in the solution and squeezed lightly.
- The pile of the product is wiped against the growth line.
- The fur coat is left to dry naturally.
- Then brush the fur in the desired direction.
How to remove paint, ink, sauce?
At home, cleaning a mink coat or other fur product stained with paint or sauce is done with gasoline, shampoo or oil. Let's describe the methods in more detail.
There are several ways to clean paint and ink stainsways:
- Gasoline is mixed with starch to a mushy state and applied to the stain. After the mixture has completely dried, the pile is combed out with a metal brush in the direction of growth. This method is best for removing oil paint.
- A cotton pad or gauze swab is moistened in vegetable oil and the fur is rubbed against the growth of pile with intense movements.
Old stains, as you know, are quite problematic, and often impossible to remove. You can try to wipe off small dirt with acetone, turpentine, white spirit or a solvent. However, after that, without fail, the aggressive composition must be washed off with a solution of baking soda and water and dried thoroughly.
Remove stains from fresh or dried sauce as follows:
- Pet shampoo or wool detergent mixed in equal proportions with water and vinegar.
- In the finished solution, moisten a sponge and apply to the stain, avoiding wetting the undercoat. The product is kept until the stain softens.
- Then clean with a damp cotton cloth.
More complex stains are treated with glycerin and wiped with a damp sponge after a few minutes.
Despite the high cost, household chemicals are in great demand among the owners of fur products. Most often, these are aerosol dispensers that give high-quality and fast results. They contain essential oils, animal fats and othersparing elements. When buying these products, it is recommended to study the instructions in detail and follow them so as not to spoil the product.
The following are the most effective products for cleaning fur coats, according to customer reviews:
- INSAF - not only perfectly cleans fur and softens it, but also gives elasticity, protects against moisture, prevents matting, has an antistatic effect, repels moths.
- TERRE DE SOMMIERES - powder stain remover, removes stains, including oily ones.
- ULTRA FINISH MILK - an Italian product that makes the pile shiny, silky without gluing it.
- BIOFUR is a line of fur care products from a Russian brand. The specially formulated formula gently removes almost all types of stains and restores the natural structure of the pile.
What not to do?
In order not to spoil the appearance of a fur coat, hat, coat and other fur products, you need to know what to do absolutely not:
- Wash the fur with water using powder and other detergents. As a result, the product will acquire negative changes that will be impossible to correct.
- Drying near any heating appliances is prohibited. If the fur coat gets wet, it is hung on a coat hanger and left to dry at room temperature.
- Ironing a fur coat from the wrong side, and even more so a pile, is unacceptable. If, as a result of storage, creases have formed on the fur product, it must be hung up and left until completelystraightening.
If you follow all the above recommendations about cleaning and care, a fur coat or any other fur product will last a long time and will look the same as on the day of purchase.