Ammonium laureth sulfate is a surfactant chemical compound that provides cosmetics with foam. Such a component can be used as an emulsifier and is often added to skin cleansers. Of the entire group of sulfate esters, it is considered the least irritating. In addition to the beneficial properties that help enhance foam formation and improve the lubricating and cleaning properties of the product, ammonium laureth sulfate also has some harmful qualities in relation to the human body.
Why is the component needed?
Ammonium lauryl sulfate, or sodium laureth sulfate, is a chemical component used in cosmetic preparations. It is classified as a surface-active component.
The main functions of such a component in cosmetic products include:
- Decontamination. The component helps to remove particles of grease and other types of contaminants from various surfaces. It binds grease particles with water, which helps to quickly clean the dirty surface. This feature is explained by the structure of the moleculea surface-active component that captures fat on the one hand, and combines it with water on the other. It is in this way that you can most quickly remove any contamination from surfaces - hair, mucous membranes, teeth, and also skin.
- Improve foaming. When combined with water, a stable foam is formed. The amount of foam obtained will directly depend on the number of components described in one product. Such a component is present in large quantities in cosmetic products: shampoos, soaps and shower gels.
- Normalization of the ratio of effective components in the mixture. Ammonium lauryl sulfate in cosmetics helps to reduce changes in the chemical and physical properties of the substance that is in the composition of a certain drug. Thus, the component helps to maintain all the positive properties of the product for a long time. Also, the component facilitates mixing of heavy complex components, including the dissolution of oily particles.
Such a substance is distinguished by its low cost, which, combined with useful properties, ensures the breadth and high frequency of use of detergents, cleaning and various cosmetic products.
If we talk about the safety or harm of using, then experts still have not been able to accurately explain the impact of such funds. The first tests were carried out 30 years ago.
Some experts say that such a component is highly biodegradable - above 90 percent, while there is noformation of no harmful components. Many claim that products with ammonium sulfate in the composition do not provoke a carcinogenic or embryotoxic effect, but have an irritating effect.
Other sources of information claim that ammonium accumulates in large quantities in tissues and in some cases reacts with other components, leading to the formation of carcinogens.
This opinion about the negative effect of the component on the human body was formed after several experiments on animals. Upon contact with their skin, many of them experienced negative reactions associated with problems in the functioning of the protective system of the skin, allergies and other unpleasant consequences. A particular danger to the human body occurs when the components enter the body or on the mucous membrane of the eyes.
Those who defend such a substance do not deny the possible negative effect, but focus on the fact that there are certain dosages at which even with regular use of a cosmetic product with a component in the composition, a person will not have any problems with skin and he alth.
When can it be dangerous?
When can ammonium laureth sulfate be dangerous? A negative effect may occur when:
- High content of the component in the volume of the cosmetic product (more than 2 percent).
- When ingested. It should be noted that adding ammonium sulfate to food products is prohibited.
- With prolonged contact with hair or skin, unpleasant symptoms may appear even with a normal dosage of the active substance.
Danger of ammonium sulfate in shampoos
It is difficult for any simple user of cosmetic products to independently choose a quality product, even if he knows the allowable dosage of many substances in the composition, since the instructions for the product do not contain quantitative and fractional norms.
You should not believe the information given by many manufacturers. In this case, it is important to choose something in between that will help minimize the risk of damage and get the maximum effect. To do this, it is important to remember about possible negative reactions and stop using specific cosmetics with such a component in the composition if there are certain contraindications.
Lauryl sulfate in toothpaste
The most dangerous combination of active substances is ammonium lauryl sulfate and nanoparticles. Such substances can be found in the composition of many toothpastes from different manufacturers.
Specialists were able to prove the negative impact of such components on the condition of the oral cavity, they can provoke genetic mutations, the development of cancer cells and their penetration into the bloodstream, which can occur with increased cell permeability.
Side effects of using toothpastes:
- severe dryness of the oral mucosa;
- progression of stomatitis;
- formation of small sores or increasearea and total depth already developed;
- increased overall gum sensitivity;
- thinning of tooth enamel.
The main contraindications for the use of toothpastes with this composition include: the presence of open wounds in the oral cavity, ulcers on the oral mucosa and gums, bleeding gums, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
Shampoo and ammonium lauryl sulfate
When buying a shampoo, many consumers pay special attention to the amount of foam formed and the strength of the cleansing qualities. But not everyone knows about the harmful properties of such foam. It should be noted that too foaming shampoo will contain a high concentration of ammonium lauryl sulfate, which can be very different from the permissible norms. It is better to replace such a product with products that form less foam when in contact with liquid, even if their cleaning properties are slightly worse.
It is important to remember that with prolonged contact with the skin or with a large amount of ammonium laureth sulfate shampoo can cause severe harm to he alth. As a rule, such products, when used regularly, do not divide fats into unnecessary and natural, which are important for the skin - they eliminate them all.
- severe dry scalp;
- deterioration of protective functions;
- appearance of dandruff;
- accelerated hair loss;
- beginning of an irritable process in the mucous membrane of the eyes;
- strong fragility of curls;
- split ends;
- production of excessive sebum by the sebaceous glands due to strong degreasing by the cosmetic product.
The main contraindications to the use of shampoo with ammonium lauryl sulfate include the presence of dandruff, severe hair loss. If the shampoo has already been purchased, then to reduce the severity of adverse reactions after using it, you should thoroughly wash your hair with warm tap water. Do not increase the duration of the product on the hair.
The negative impact of shower gels
The process of skin cleansing is associated with high tissue permeability. Under the influence of lariul sulfate, skin cells increase in size, swell, which provokes accelerated cleansing and improved results.
Skin contact with gels and the soap solution formed after the combination of soap and water lasts a short period of time. It is for this reason that the negative effect of sodium lauryl sulfite when washing hands or using a foaming shower gel is considered minimal, and in most cases it is completely absent if the product is thoroughly rinsed with water.
Severe harm is caused to the human body by bath foams with the specified component in the composition. The duration of taking such a bath should not exceed fifteen minutes, otherwise the negative impact will not be avoided. Over such a period of time, in conditions of high humidity and elevated temperature, the skin becomes highly susceptible. ATas a result, harmful components get direct access to the deep layers of the skin, which becomes very dangerous.
This component is also undesirable in the composition of intimate hygiene products, which, when applied, come into direct contact with the mucous membrane. Such exposure can result in severe mucosal dryness and impaired immune defenses.
With prolonged exposure to a negative component on the skin, a person may experience the following reactions:
- damage to the lipids of the stratum corneum, which provokes an increase in the permeability of the skin, severe dryness and a decrease in protective functions;
- increased absorption of harmful components;
- severe irritation begins, as well as allergies;
- skin dehydration;
- accelerated cell aging process;
- delayed regeneration;
- severe dryness of the mucosa.
Contraindication to the use of a genetic product with sodium lauryl sulfate in the composition: the development of dermatitis, the presence of damage to the skin, intolerance to the components of the drug.
Caring cosmetics for body and face
Creams and gels for face and body are distinguished by prolonged contact between the skin and the components of the product. It is for this reason that the presence of lauriosulfates in their composition is a very dangerous sign that can provoke various problems.
Emulsifying ability, of course, helps to achieve demand for products, as they increase its characteristics -presentation, comfort in use, cost-effectiveness due to strong foaming. But almost always such products - masks and creams for the face and body, cosmetic oils, makeup removers have a negative effect on the body itself. Care cosmetics should contain no more than one percent ammonium lauryl sulfate.
- development of comedones;
- beginning of dermatitis;
- increased dry skin;
- decrease in the protective properties of the skin;
- accumulation in the lens of the eye when used incorrectly, which increases the risk of cataract formation;
- accelerated aging of the skin of the face and body;
- excessive consumption of harmful components by cells.
The main contraindications for the use of such products are severe dry skin, atopic dermatitis and the development of acne.
Components in baby products
A distinctive feature of the skin of a child and its mucous membranes is insufficient maturity, which provokes an increased susceptibility to any negative factors. The rapid development of cells and organs requires the consumption of large amounts of nutrients through the surface of the skin. But together with useful components, harmful ones often penetrate into the baby's body.
Use ammonium lariul sulfate when cleansing the skin of a child should not be, as this may increase the sensitivity of the epidermis and other tissues.
Danger for baby
The main side effects of the child's body can beattributed to:
- problems with the functioning of the sebaceous and sweat glands;
- problems with thermoregulation;
- appearance of crusts on the scalp;
- disturbances in water balance, severe dryness of the skin;
- development of allergies;
- decrease in protective properties.
Children's age is considered an absolute contraindication to the use of cosmetics with lauryl sulfate in the composition. Also, do not use washing powders with such a component.
To protect your body and the he alth of your loved ones from the negative effects of lauryl sulfates, it is important to select cosmetic and hygiene products with substitutes, for example, laureth sulfate, which gently affects the body as a whole.