The first whirlpools appeared during the First World War in France. Local military surgeons thus treated gunshot wounds, phantom pains and other problems of the army. Today, many patients with various problems resort to this method of hydrotherapy. And there are a lot of modifications of whirlpool baths.
According to the technical device, there are 3 types of whirlpool baths:
- Rotary type (mixing).
- Flow variant (similar to the original, invented by the French).
- Turbine type (modern device).
Today in practice they use:
- General whirlpools. They involve the complete immersion of the human body.
- Whirlpool baths for feet and hands (topical application).
Modern turbine baths are installed in sanatoriums, beauty salons, hospitals. They are recommended by the American Medical Association.
Such baths are also called pearl baths. This is a kind of hydromassage. Air and water actively influence the human body. There is a grate at the bottom of the tub.Through it, air enters the water, which gets there from the compressor.
Passing through the holes of the lattice, the air turns into bubbles, which carry out the "massage" of the body. At the same time, the amount and intensity of exposure can be adjusted by setting a certain level of pressure in the compressor.
During the procedure, the water temperature is always maintained at 34-36 degrees. And the air that enters it has a temperature noticeably lower - up to 20 degrees. It turns out a contrast that provokes the activation of all internal processes in the human body.
The main therapeutic and healing factors when taking whirlpool baths are mechanical and thermal effects. To get the maximum effect, the procedure should last no more than a quarter of an hour. In this case, the muscles must be relaxed as much as possible. To do this, it is enough to take a comfortable position and distract from problems and thoughts.
Whirlpool baths have a positive effect on the body:
- Significantly stimulates blood circulation. This allows you to normalize the pressure, remove pain, relieve muscle tension.
- It normalizes the outflow of lymph, all residual effects from inflammation quickly resolve.
- The skin is oxygenated.
- Mood noticeably improves.
- The body relaxes and rests.
- Rheumatism, arthritis, arthrosis recede.
To enhance the effect of the procedure, you can add essential oil or sea s alt to the water. BUTafter the bath, it is advisable to smear the skin with a moisturizer. This will protect it from drying out. It is worth giving up physical activity within 2 hours after the procedure.
Very often, doctors prescribe whirlpool baths. Indications and contraindications for their implementation are very extensive. So, it is recommended to conduct such sessions if:
- need to recover from an injury or heavy and constant physical exertion;
- disturbances in the work of the muscular or nervous system of the body are observed;
- there are diseases that are associated with improper functioning of the endocrine glands;
- there are disorders in joint mobility;
- diagnosed with atherosclerosis;
- there are disorders in the activity of the musculoskeletal system;
- impaired blood flow;
- diseases of the spine are present;
- have varicose veins;
- disturbed male potency;
- patient suffers from insomnia;
- there are ulcers of various nature;
- chronic fatigue syndrome is observed;
- diagnosed as obese;
- has chronic constipation;
- patient suffers from inflammation in the female genital area;
- there is arterial hypertension or vegetovascular dystonia has been identified.
All these ailments can be cured if a course of whirlpool baths is added to the complex of therapeutic measures.
Whirlpool baths for the lower extremities are considered more gentle. They are prescribed if it is contraindicated to take general whirlpool baths withfull body immersion. Additionally, they are shown to those who have:
- there is a need to recover from a broken or injured leg;
- Cold feet syndrome present;
- joints hurt in lower limbs.
Whirlpool baths for hands are prescribed for:
- inflammatory processes in the upper limbs;
- neuromuscular dystrophy;
- suspended fractures and sprains of the arms;
- spasm or physical overexertion.
Whirlpool baths: contraindications
There are cases when it is necessary to refrain from such a procedure. Like any other medical and recreational event, a whirlpool bath session has its contraindications. These include:
- oncological diseases;
- inflammatory diseases in the acute stage of their development;
- thrombophlebitis in acute form;
- angina and other heart problems.
Where to try?
Whirlpool baths can not be taken everywhere. Typically, clinics and some spas offer a similar procedure. It is possible to purchase equipment for home use. But we must remember that the procedure should be carried out only under the supervision of a specialist.
Treatment takes place in courses. The number of procedures and the duration of the break between sessions is determined by the attending physician based on examinations. Bathing can be scheduled both daily andin a day or several days. Everything is individual.
This procedure is very popular in many Caucasian sanatoriums. Going on vacation to Kislovodsk, Zheleznovodsk, Pyatigorsk or Essentuki, it makes sense to ask if there is such a service as whirlpool baths in a particular sanatorium.