Designer shoes are always in style, so if you're looking for a pair from Geox or Sergio Rossi, you need to know how to convert Russian to Italian shoe size. Pairs designed and made in Italy have a different numbering system. Finding the perfect fit can be quite tricky, especially for outdoor footwear. Before heading to the store or ordering online, do a little work so you don't end up with ill-fitting shoes.
Tips for buying Italian shoes
Need to know:
- Feet change throughout the day. Therefore, you should buy during the day or in the evening.
- The calibration system is for guidance only. If you choose shoes according to the size chart, they will not necessarily fit. Even copies of the same brand may differ.
- Shoes are comfortable only if they fit correctly. Take the time to find the right shape. Never buy shoes that "almost" fit.
- Don't rush intostore and walk around while trying on. Make sure you have 1 to 1.5 cm of wiggle room when you step on your foot at the front of the shoe. This rule does not apply in the case of shoes with high heels. For her, foot slip must be prevented with firm support.
- Test models from different manufacturers. Proper width is just as important as length when it comes to optimal comfort. If you have narrow feet, you should not go for shoes that are smaller, instead choose a brand with a narrower fit.
- The materials used are also of great importance. Rubber, leather, faux leather, or fabric stretch differently over time. This also affects fit.
- Women especially often buy small shoes. Reason: false vanity and outdated ideals of beauty. Some manufacturers are reacting to this behavior and offer, for example, the actual shoe size 40 as a size 39. However, not all companies do this.
Features of footwear production in Italy
Mostly European shoe companies determine the size of shoes, taking into account only the length of the foot. The Italian size standard is based on the European one, that is, the size value will be one more than the Russian one. Since the shoe industry in Italy is well developed, many factories have invented their own standards, which take into account not only the length, but also the fullness of shoes.
These figures take into account the anatomy, so Italian shoe sizes, depending on the brand, may differ or coincide with Russiansizes. If you have decided on the brand and are ready to purchase a pair, it is better to focus on the size chart, which is presented on the official website of the company. If there is no such information, refer to the tables for sizing Italian sizes for women's and men's shoes. To do this, you need to measure the length of the leg.
Sizing chart for men.
The foot is three-dimensional, so the length is only one of the things to consider (width, height). Add to that the fact that today's shoe market is made up of brands from the US, Europe, and other countries, and things get even more confusing.
Sizing chart for women.
Many manufacturers also deviate slightly from the standards. Some brands choose to make shoes more comfortable or fit wider feet, so they go up in size.
Because the materials used (fabric, leather, leatherette, rubber, etc.) are very flexible, making shoes to exact specifications is very difficult or simply too expensive for manufacturers.
How to measure your foot length
Most often, women's shoes differ by one size, and men's by several. It is rare to find models that match perfectly.
To translate Italian shoe size into Russian, first measure the length of your foot. To do this, you will need a white sheet of paper, a ruler and a pencil. The best time to measure is during the day or evening when your legs are relaxed. If you measure them in the morning, theywill be smaller, which will give you incorrect measurements, and then you will buy shoes that are small.
Place your feet on a piece of paper at a 90° angle. Stick the paper to the floor with duct tape so it doesn't slip off. Circle the foot with a pencil and measure the length from the end of the heel to the beginning of the big toe. If the result is inaccurate, it is better to round it up.
What to do with different leg lengths
If one of your shoes is always too tight, measure both feet and then use the length of the longest one to calculate your correct shoe size. If the two lengths are very different, you should consider customizing the shoes or using special insoles.
When choosing Italian shoes, you need to pay attention to the fullness or width of the foot. Those with narrow feet should go 0.5 sizes down, and those with wide feet should go 1 or 1.5 sizes up.
Italian shoe sizes are not the only difference. Shoes tend to be narrower in the heel with a wide toe. This fit allows you to keep your heel snugly in place without hurting your toes. Russian shoes usually have a deeper toe than Italian ones. Keep in mind that these generalizations need to be considered for each shoe brand separately.