The accordion skirt has long been a must-have for the wardrobe of a true fashionista. Light structure, wide selection and a sea of combinations make this piece of clothing magical and airy. When did this wonderful thing appear and what to wear it with - read on.
What is the accordion skirt called? Pleated skirt. Pleated is a specific material that is smoothed with an iron into many stripes in one direction, after which it is sewn together with an accordion. It can be different, but basically there are two types: wide and narrow.
The first accordion skirts flaunted on male bodies several thousand years before our era. To create them, purely natural fabrics were used (in most cases linen), which in quality resembled the most delicate silk. Later, the inhabitants of Ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia borrowed pleated skirts from the stronger sex, decorated them with all sorts of decorative elements and made them a real pride of women's wardrobe.
The fashion for the described little thing conquered European countries already at the end of the nineteenth century. The "opening" of the accordion skirt is associated with the name of the famous fashion designer - Mariano Fortuny. Initially itpleated things were preferred to be worn at home. But everything was changed by the wonderful client of the couturier. Isadora Duncan, an American dancer, appeared in public in a light pleated dress and blew up the audience.
The next "boom" for the mentioned wardrobe item took place in 1950. At the time, Billy Wilder's comedy film, The Seven Year Itch, was on television. It was in this film that the legendary Marilyn Morneau walked around in an airy pleated dress with an American armhole.
Today, the accordion skirt does not leave the pedestal of fashion trends and is often announced at fashion shows. It is emphasized by many brands - both local and global.
Aristocratic girls definitely pay attention to the world retinue: celebrities, politicians or representatives of the royal couple. Stars are often fashion references, so you can get inspired by their combinations.
- Victoria Beckham has been repeatedly spotted with a mid-length pleated skirt. An extraordinary thing with a selected color block: blue, beige and white.
- The beautiful figure of famous Victoria's Secret model Alessandra Ambrosio is decorated with a long accordion skirt with various patterns and a textile belt.
- Dakota Johnson showed that a pleated dress looks perfect in an evening out. So, the velvet bottom shimmers wonderfully in the light of the lanterns.
- Elle Fanning prefers an accordion skirt with a wide stripe and a mini length. First of all, it looks pretty cool. Second, very convenient.
What to hide, even the Duchess Meghan Markle herself last fall chose the perfect pleated skirt in a navy shade. Now you need to find out what is popular in 2019 and quickly create interesting looks for all occasions.
2019 color scheme
In creating a stylish look, the right palette of shades is important. And where does it fit - not to know the trendy color?
Annually, the Pantone Color Institute publishes a report declaring the Color Ruler. Last year, ultraviolet entered the main stage and brought with it several "related" shades: lavender, purple and amethyst.
In 2019, the leader is "Living Coral", which has the number 16-1546. Not very flashy color warms and inspires with tropical motifs inherent in it. A midi-length accordion skirt in this color will be a wonderful accent in a selected look. Combine this shade with more muted (even basic) tones.
What to wear with an accordion skirt if you want to look both stylish and strict. Here are some solutions:
- Standard versatile option consists of a white shirt with 3/4 sleeves, a black skirt just below the knee length and classic pumps with medium heels. A pair of cat-eye sunglasses, a saddle bag and a simple watch will freshen up the look a bit.
- An interesting idea for a warm autumn or spring. Ivory golf, blue high-waisted skirt andhigh heel ankle boots. Documents can be folded into a briefcase. The outfit itself will be completed by fashion glasses.
- For the strong and independent. Genuine leather skirt, dark shirt with white polka dots and high heels. A clutch bag and minimalist jewelry complete the picture.
And, of course, the long-awaited date. In order to look great in an accordion skirt, you should take a closer look at the following ideas:
- A satin pleated skirt and the same orange-beige blouse with exquisite black stiletto sandals. Slightly tousled curls and a thin pendant will add mystery to the image.
- Lingerie-style top and velvet midi skirt with sparkly ballerinas. Watches and bracelets will flaunt on the hands, and large earrings will make a bright accent.
To create an everyday look, you do not need to strain too much. One has only to look at fashion photos with an accordion skirt and make something unique.
- Long deep green pleated skirt, white chiffon blouse, black and white printed tweed jacket and short boots. Accessorize with oversized sunglasses and a tote.
- Option for more athletic young ladies. Spacious sweatshirt, skirt and flat sneakers (or converse). Complete the look with a backpack or clutch, glasses and a pair of silver linear rings.
- A lover of experiments. Bright pink pleated skirt, oversized gray sweater and sophisticatedhigh-rise sandals with ties. There are no finishing touches here, except for a smile.
It remains only to find your favorite and create images in his likeness.