Subcultures appeared a long time ago. They attract young people with their unusualness and mystery. One of the most mysterious and interesting is the Goths. Representatives of the subculture immediately catch the eye. They prefer black, graveyard walks, nighttime adventures and abandoned places. Goths are a subculture that is shrouded in an aura of mystery. They look a bit like vampires. Representatives have certain characteristics and behaviors. This primarily concerns the Gothic style in clothing. More details about the subculture will be discussed in the article.
This is usually the name of people who prefer total black in clothes, makeup, shoes and hair. Goths are fond of mysticism and stories about vampires. Many consider themselves relatives of the most famous vampire - Count Dracula. They are used to seeing the world around them in dark colors. On the faceready to never see a hint of a smile. They are always immersed in their own suffering and are in constant depression. Most often because of an unhappy love that shattered their hearts. Representatives of this subculture are attracted by death. In it, the Goths see something attractive and alluring. The gothic subculture is often addicted to young girls. They will be captivated by the black color and shining fabrics of velvet, velor and latex. There is even a certain style of gothic clothing for girls. With dark clothes and terrible makeup, they try to protect themselves from the cruelty and ridicule of others. Despite their intimidating appearance, Goths are very shy and vulnerable people at heart.
A dark and bewitching subculture
Goths are a subculture that arose not so long ago. Despite this, she managed to gain immense popularity among young people. Many will be surprised, but the goth subculture originated from punks. It would seem that aggressive, militant punks and immersed in their own experiences, disappointed in life, can have in common. To understand this, let us recall the history of the last century.
In the late 70s, young people begin to understand that revolution and destruction are not capable of changing the world. The rebellious mood is replaced by disappointment and apathy. After all, their desire to change the world was in vain. The popularity of the punk subculture begins to decline rapidly. They are replaced by the Goths with their renunciation of the problems of the outside world and hypertrophied perception of their emotional experiences. At first, these two youthsubcultures differ little. The Goths preferred the same strange hairstyles, clothes, mystical accessories and black. With the development of the popularity of this movement, musical gothic groups began to appear. The similarity of punks and goths gradually faded away. Young people who preferred this gloomy style tried to emphasize their dissimilarity to others, aristocracy and decadent moods. A certain Gothic style of clothing for girls and boys was gradually established, their lifestyle and worldview. As a result, the difference became very noticeable.
Gothic fashion history
If the Goth subculture appeared only at the end of the 20th century, then the Gothic style has existed since the early Middle Ages. It was a terrible and at the same time romantic era: brave knights fighting for the heart of a beautiful lady, a witch hunt and a ruthless inquisition, the struggle of the Catholic Church with the monarch for power. It was then that the Gothic style appeared in clothing, architecture, and art. One of the first countries in which it arose was France. French fashionistas showed the whole world its gloomy, bewitching beauty. Incredibly fashionable steel: corsets, pointed hats and long trains, jagged edges of the sleeves, an abundance of frills, lace and ribbons. The Gothic style in clothing and the Middle Ages have become inextricably linked in the minds of people. However, fashion does not stand still. The Renaissance began, in which the feminine Renaissance replaced the gloomy toilet.
It was only at the end of the 20th century that the Gothic style in women's and men's clothing became popular again. At the beginningthis century, he was completely recognized by fashion designers and conquered world catwalks.
Let's consider the nuances in more detail:
- Gothic is distinguished by its layering and love for gloomy shades. It doesn't always have to be black (although it's often the color of choice for this culture). It is acceptable to use dark purple and blue.
- Gothic clothing style is shocking and eye-catching. This is what the representatives of the subculture are trying to achieve. Their main desire is to stand out from the crowd. Pay attention to your experiences and feelings.
- The main decoration of the image is ready - accessories. They should only be made of silver or white gold. Most often, the Goths wear chains with large white Celtic crosses and many silver rings. White looks good against the background of dark clothes and attracts attention to an artificially pale face.
- Gold and gems are unacceptable for Goths. The only exception is diamonds. They are also attracted to massive jewelry.
- From the punks, the Goths retained a love for shocking bracelets and spiked collars. This is how they emphasize that they are ready for bodily and mental suffering.
- Makeup ready very bright. This applies to both men and women. Goths with the help of powder make the face livid. Eyes are thickly painted with a black pencil and shadows. Goth girls draw expressive arrows. Eyebrows are always jet black. Their shape doesn't really matter. Lipstick color should be bright. As a rule, choose dark red, burgundy, wine anddark shades. Goths are always manicured. Traditionally, they paint their nails with black polish. Makeup is allowed to be slightly careless.
Among young people there are many admirers of the gloomy ideology. A goth boy is easy to recognize in a crowd. They, like girls, brightly paint with a black pencil or eyeliner. They go out into the street only with a perfectly pale face. Men prefer dark-colored clothes that are a bit old-fashioned. Most often, a young Goth can be seen in a black long tailcoat or leather trousers. Goth man - in a long black skirt, reminiscent of a hoodie. They wear shirts with long sleeves and lace cuffs. The final detail of the image is accessories. Goth men love to decorate their faces with piercings. They prefer to pierce the nose or eyebrow. Jewelry must be silver. Males are more likely than females to wear leather collars with metal spikes.
Modern Gothic clothing style
Its features are as follows:
- The outfit is always extravagant. They choose clothes in black, sometimes dark colors. Recently, the Goths add white stripes and other geometric shapes to their black robes. This technique helps them achieve contrast.
- From the Middle Ages, the love for long dark dresses with a train has been preserved. Gotesses try to emphasize the dignity of their figure with the help of revealing outfits. Often they can be seen in tight corsets, extravagant belts andlace skirts.
- Clothes are most often made of leather, lace, lurex, velvet and silk. It is decorated with lacing, mesh or jabot. The final detail of the image is a small black hat with a veil or a lace umbrella. Also, young ladies wear long, openwork gloves. Women's gothic urban clothing is popular.
- On their feet, representatives of the subculture wear special shoes-grinders. These are narrow, high platform boots. They are worn by both men and women. Shoe color is always black only.
Boys and girls dye their hair black or blue-black. So the face visually becomes even paler. The hair is pulled out with an iron so that it is perfectly smooth. Most often they are given a slightly dirty look. So the Goths emphasize that they deny the rules accepted in society. They have their own rules by which they live. There are practically no Gotes with short hair. Even men grow long hair, which is pulled back into a low ponytail or left loose.
Most Popular Destinations
There are several of them:
- Gothic Lolita. An image built on contrasts. It harmoniously combines the aristocracy and rudeness of Gothic. It is widespread among young girls. The Gothic Lolita image originated in Japan and soon became popular in Europe. There is no place for vulgarity and vulgarity here. The main color is black. It is complemented by purple and white. This gothic style of clothing is distinguished by a slight flirtatiousness. girls wearblack dresses with tight corsets, decorated with lace. Dark hair can be diluted with purple or red strands. Such a girl will definitely not go unnoticed in society.
- Jay. Another gothic style that came to Europe from Japan. Distinctive feature: Mixing styles of Japanese cartoon anime characters and the predominance of gothic black and lace.
- Vampire. It is ideal for boys and girls. After all, these mysterious characters are very attractive to ready. The makeup focuses on the eyes (their depth is emphasized with dark pink shadows) and porcelain skin. This is the only gothic style in which scarlet, the color of blood, predominates.
Star representatives of style
Among Hollywood stars there are a lot of fans of the gloomy and mysterious gothic style. He is popular among outrageous young singers. Some stars resort to the gothic style only on stage, while others do not part with the invented image even on the red carpet. The brightest goth fans: Taylor Momsen and outrageous Lady Gaga.